- Asynchronous, RS-232 Operation
- Full or Half Duplex
- Data Rates up to 19.2 Kbps
- Range up to 5 Miles (8km)
- Continuous or Controlled Carrier
- External DCE/DTE Switch
- Very Thin Case (.75/1.9cm) for Closely Spaced Computer Ports
- EMI/RFI and Transient Immunity
- No AC Power Required
- LED Status Indicators
- SMA or ST Connector Options
- Made in the USA — This Patton equipment is designed by Patton engineers and built in our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility. Patton's American-made manufacturing process delivers high-quality networking solutions with reliability you can trust.
The Patton Model 1110A miniature RS-232 fiber optic modem packs all the advantages of fiber into a compact self-powered package. Communicating full or half duplex over two fibers, the Model 1110A supports data rates to 19.2 Kbps and distances up to 5 miles (8 km).
Optical fiber carries several advantages over twisted pair copper for data communications:
Copper wire requires shielding against RFI/EMI noise in many environments, whereas fiber is immune to RFI/EMI.
In building-to-building applications, copper wire requires DC isolation to avoid ground looping. Fiber, on the other hand, does not have DC continuity. Fiber is therefore not subject to ground looping.
If a copper link passes through a field of energy created by a lightning strike, this transient energy will be conducted to the hardware at either end. But a fiber link will not pick up this harmful radiated energy-it is immune to transients.
Being a fiber optic modem, the Model 1110A has all of these advantages.
The Model 1110A requires no AC power or batteries to operate. All necessary operating power is drawn from the data and control signals on the RS-232 interface. Carrier may be internally switch selected for Continuously On or Controlled by RTS. For added convenience, the Model 1110A features an external DCE/DTE switch. This eliminates the need for cumbersome RS-232 crossover cables, allowing the Model 1110A to plug directly into the RS-232 interface. The miniature size of the Model 1110A allows it to fit in tight installation spaces. The pop-open/snap-shut ABS plastic case allows easy access to the configuration switches. On the fiber side, the Model 1110A is available with a choice of SMA or popular ST connectors.
||FIBER OPTIC RACK LINE DRIVER, ST
||End of Life-Notice