The Patton Model 1140A miniature fiber optic modem goes all-out to ensure RS-232 communication integrity. Combining the inviolability of fiber with the troubleshooting capabilities of V.52 and V.54 diagnostics, the Model 1140A is the best choice for your most critical RS-232 links.
- Async. Or Sync. RS-232 Operation
- Dual Fiber Optic Interface
- V.52 and V.54 Loopback Test Modes
- Data Rates to 38.4 Kbps
- Range up to 5 Miles (8 Km)
- No AC Power Required
- Continuous or Controlled Carrier
- Internal, External or Received Loopback Clocking in Sync Mode
- SMA or ST Connector Options
- Made in the USA — This Patton equipment is designed by Patton engineers and built in our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility. Patton's American-made manufacturing process delivers high-quality networking solutions with reliability you can trust.
With respect to communication integrity, optical fiber has some important advantages over twisted-pair copper:
The Model 1140A brings all the advantages of fiber to your network, plus 100% compliant V.52 and V.54 diagnostics.
- Copper wire requires shielding against RFI/EMI noise in many environments, whereas fiber is immune to RFI/EMI.
- In building-to-building applications, copper wire requires DC isolation to avoid ground looping. Fiber, on the other hand, does not have DC continuity, so it is not subject to ground looping.
- If a copper link passes through a field of energy created by a lightning strike, the transient energy will be conducted to the hardware at either end. But a fiber link will not pick up this harmful radiated energy-It is immune to transients.
Besides communication integrity, the Model 1140A offers substantial flexibility: Supporting distances to 5 miles (8 km) and data rates to 38.4 Kbps over two fibers, the Model 1140A operates Async or Sync—full or half duplex—with the carrier options of Continuously On or Controlled by RTS. The Model 1140A fiber modem draws all necessary operating power from the RS-232 interface and requires no AC power or batteries. While in synchronous mode, the Model 1140A supports three clocking methods: internal, external and receive recover. The 1140A is housed in a sturdy pop-open/snap-shut ABS plastic case that allows easy access to the configuration switches, and ridges for sure grip.
||ASYNC/SYNC FIBER LINE DRIVER RACK CARD
||End of Life-Notice